United denied full three points by last minute Bridgwater equaliser

Profile image for elpresident

By elpresident | Saturday, December 08, 2012, 17:41


Nailsea United 2  Bridgwater Town Reserves 2


United returned to league action on Saturday following their recent cup excursions welcoming Bridgwater Town Reserves to The Grove.

The home side started brightly with Ellis Wilmot and Matt Long combining to set a chance for Harry Hope who shot straight at the Bridgwater keeper. On 10 minutes a Matt Long cross from the right was volleyed over by Jim Lee. Nailsea had a let off on the quarter of the hour mark when a visiting player was given too much space but his shot sailed over the bar.

Immediately the play switched to the other end when casual play by the Bridgwater defence saw the ball ricochet from the bottom of the post to safety. Bridgwater took the lead with 20 minutes gone when Nailsea failed to clear their lines allowing a shot from close range to cross the line. Ten minutes before half time a half chance fell to Jim Lee but his looping shot went over the bar.

Half time score. Nailsea United 0 Bridgwater Town Reserves 1

United started the second half with Ryan King replacing the unwell Matt Long in attack. Instant pressure by the home side was rewarded just 5 minutes into the half when a perfect free kick by Ellis Wilmot from the right was headed in by centre back by James Taylor for the equaliser. Ten minutes later Sam Long was replaced by Steve Lester.

Then commenced a period of unrelenting Nailsea pressure with Harry Hope shooting just wide after creating a shooting position. With 15 minutes remaining James Lee headed a James Springett cross into the ground to see it bounce agonisingly over the bar.  Ryan King also went close moments later. Bridgwater were hanging on and were pleased to see a Jim Lee header bounce off the bar from a Chris Lawrence cross.



At last the constant pressure was rewarded with Ryan King taking a free kick on the right to brilliantly steer the ball just inside the far post to give Nailsea a deserved lead with 5 minutes of normal time remaining.  The home side then began to defend deeper and deeper inviting the young Bridgwater side to take advantage. Nailsea keeper Jason Small then distinguished himself first of all blocking a shot from the angle and then tipping a long range shot over the bar.

With 5 minutes additional time being played a well struck shot from outside the Nailsea area rocketed into the net via the crossbar giving keeper no chance for the Bridgwater equalising goal. Last week Nailsea scored a last minute goal to proceed in the cup this time they were denied three league points in a similar fashion.

Final Score. Nailsea United 2 Bridgwater Town Reserves 2

Next week  December 15th United are at home against high flying Street Reserves in a match that could have a bearing on the outcome of the league championship come next May. Street will be looking to reverse the result at Street earlier in the season when Nailsea took away their unbeaten record. Kick off 2.00pm.





max 4000 characters

Latest Stories in Nailsea


Local Vouchers


Local Jobs


Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price
Min price is bigger than Max price
Min rent is bigger than Max rent