Nailsea men play for Clevedon Town in cup final

Profile image for Carol_Deacon

By Carol_Deacon | Monday, April 30, 2012, 10:42

Clevedon Town 0 Cinderford Town 2

The weather didn't help when Clevedon Town lost is last league game at home on Saturday.

The team  which is managed by Nailsea man Micky Bell fields five Nailsea players - Jason Mellor (captain), Steve Kingdon, Chris Geeson, Matt Fisher and Joe Flurry - and even the physio John Evans is a Nailsealite. 

On Tuesday night at The Hand stadium, Clevedon, The Seasiders play in the cup final for the Somerset Premier Cup against Weston-super-Mare AFC. 

Clevedon defied the odds to get there by knocking out Yeovil Town in the quarter finals. 

Kick off is at 7.30pm and admission costs adults:£8, concessions £5 and U16s £1.

Admission prices have been reduced for this game  to adults £6 , concessions £3 and U18s £1 .

This report of the last league game of the season is written by Dave Wright.

Clevedon Town completed their Evo-Stik Southern League Division One programme for 2011-12 with a disappointing 2-0 home defeat at the hands of Cinderford Town.

The game had an 'end-of-the-season' feel to it and a blustery wind made it hard for both sides to control the ball, so not much happened for the first 25 minutes. 

Jack McKenna twisted in the box and hit a crisp shot that stung Cinderford keeper Ben John's fingers. 

At the other end a defensive slip left Mike Whittington through on goal but he shot wildly over the bar. Cinderford captain Dale Evans then hit a curling shot straight at Jason Mellor as the away team stepped up the pressure. 

And they took the lead on the half-hour mark when a wind-assisted corner skidded off Matt Thorne's head and past his own keeper. McKenna replied by skewing a shot wide and Joe Flurry went one-on-one with John but the keeper was stronger and cleared the danger.

Micky Bell's half time response was to make two substitutions up front as Best and Hemmings replaced Teale and Flurry. 

But just four minutes after the restart Cinderford double their advantage when left back and former Clevedon legend Danny Haines struck a superb 25 yard drive into the top corner of the net giving Mellor no chance. 

Just after the hour Whittington attempted to go round Mellor but was fouled by the keeper. 

After being shown a yellow card Jason got up to make a fine one-handed save from the ensuing penalty. 

Clevedon tried to reduce the arrears and were given a great opportunity when the referee spotted a push in the area and awarded The Seasiders a penalty kick. 

Leading scorer Chas Hemmings stepped confidently up to the spot but placed his effort wide of the post. 

Dean Lee made a great run through several Clevedon tackles but put his shot over the bar, and Matt Thorne tried to make amends for his own goal with a free kick that went just wide. 

But that was the end of the action as the game and the league season finished.

Clevedon finished in 20th place in the table, safe from relegation, and with the Somerset Premier Cup Final v Weston-super-Mare to look forward to on Tuesday night.

Team: 1. Mellor (c), 2. Teale (15. Best 46m), 3. Rich, 4. Mills, 5. Kingdon, 6. Thorne, 7. McKenna, 8. Clarke, 9.Moss (16. Edwards-Samuels 70m), 10. Flurry (14. Hemmings 46m), 11. Walker. Subs not used: 12. Geeson & 17. Fisher.

FT 0-2 (HT: 0-1)

Attendance: 115



  • Profile image for Carol_Deacon

    The game is off.
    Club secretary Brian Rose said: "We are waiting for the ref to arrive at noon to officially call the game off but you would need a rowing boat to play as the pitch is waterlogged."
    The new date will be posted on Nailsea People as soon as it is announced.

    By Carol_Deacon at 11:23 on 01/05/12

max 4000 characters

Latest Stories in Nailsea


Local Vouchers


Local Jobs


Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price
Min price is bigger than Max price
Min rent is bigger than Max rent