Nailsea United score five to defeat Weston St Johns

Profile image for elpresident

By elpresident | Saturday, October 13, 2012, 18:46

Nailsea United 5 Weston St Johns 2 


Returning to the league programme following last week's cup win over previously unbeaten Berrow, Nailsea were at home to mid table Weston St Johns.

The opening goal for United came after just 5 minutes play when a Harry Hope shot was deflected to Matt Long who made no mistake to put Nailsea into the lead. Five minutes later Jim Lee set up Matt Long who this time shot wide. Within two minutes Harry Hope cut in from the left to find space before shooting just wide.

It was not until the quarter of an hour mark that Weston had their first shot on target which was tipped over the bar by keeper Scott Kendall. Weston then began to exert more pressure with Scott Kendall once again pulling off a fantastic save to preserve the Nailsea lead. However, the equaliser came a minute later from a penalty which was duly despatched.

It was Weston that were the better side although Jim Lee could have regained the lead for United only to see his header go wide with 5 minutes of the half remaining. It was no surprise the Weston ended the first half in the lead when Nailsea failed to clear their lines allowing the second goal to the visitors from close range.

The half time score just about represented the fact that Weston finished the stronger with Nailsea once again thankful to their inspirational keeper Scott Kendall who kept out two certain goal bound efforts.

Half time score: Nailsea United 1 Weston St Johns 2

It was a different Nailsea side that took to the field at the start of the second half taking the game immediately to Weston. On 55 minutes a corner from the left by Matt Long was controlled in a flash on the near post by Ellis Wilmot who beat his defender to send the ball to the far post where Rob Brown volleyed into the net for the equaliser.


The good sized crowd were now treated to a display of constant Nailsea attacks with a surging run by Matt Long setting up Jim Lee to fire home a right footed shot on 60 minutes to put United in front. On 65 minutes Mike Wallington was replaced by Mike Rowcliffe at right back. Nailsea went two goals in front when Harry Hope won the ball just inside the Weston half on the left to set off towards goal leaving his defender trailing to tuck the ball past the Weston keeper from close range. Another fine goal by the fast maturing youngster.

With 15 minutes remaining any doubt about the result was erased when James Springett picked the ball up to send it into the Weston goal area for defender James Taylor to find the back of the net for goal number five. Immediately Manager Mark Savage replaced Chris Lawrence with Liam Lester and Matt Long with Ryan King respectively.

The only sour moment of the game came minutes later when the Weston right back who had been given a torrid time by Harry Hope all afternoon  launched himself into a dangerous tackle on young Liam Lester leaving the referee no option but to show a straight red card. I am sure that all supporters will join me in wishing Liam a speedy recovery.

Following this incident the match finished with no further goals leaving Nailsea worthy winners based on their second half display.

Final score: Nailsea United 5 Weston St Johns 2


This win also keeps United in second place in the league. Next week Saturday October 20th Nailsea entertain Larkhall Athletic Reserves in the second round of the League Cup, the competition they won last season. Please note the early kick off of 2.30pm.



max 4000 characters

Latest Stories in Nailsea


Local Vouchers


Local Jobs


Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price
Min price is bigger than Max price
Min rent is bigger than Max rent