Nailsea United lose out at Stockwood Green

Profile image for elpresident

By elpresident | Saturday, January 05, 2013, 16:47


Stockwood Green 3  Nailsea United 1


Following several postponements Nailsea finally got their league programme back underway with a visit to South Bristol side Stockwood Green. United were looking to reverse the result when the teams last met when Stockwood were the victors knocking Nailsea out of the Senior Cup.

On a soft pitch that cut up quickly it was obvious that this would not be a game for the purist. Stockwood had the first meaningful attack after five minutes with the ball curling just wide of the United far post. In their next attack the home side were awarded a penalty which was duly converted to give them an early lead.

The Nailsea equaliser came with 20 minutes gone on the clock. A well flighted free kick by Rob Brown was headed into the goal area by Jim Lee to Ryan King who showed all of his experience to shoot into the home net from close range. United could have taken the lead 10 minutes later when Jim Lee set up a chance for Steve Lester only to see the advancing Stockwood keeper smother the midfielders shot.

Within two minutes Stockwood retook the lead  following a cross from the left which fell to an unmarked Stockwood player who scored with a well placed header to give the home side a 2 – 1 lead at half time.

Nailsea increased the pressure in the second half with two efforts by James Springett being well saved by the home custodian. On 60 minutes Steve Lester was replaced by Alex Goodwin with Stuart Lee taking over from Sam Long five minutes later. Although most of the play was in the Stockwood half, Nailsea keeper Jason Small had to be alert on 70 minutes when he dived to his right to make a great save to keep his side in the game.

With 15 minutes remaining Nailsea made their last substitution with Liam Lester replacing James Taylor in the back four. Nailsea probably realised that it was not going to their day when with 10 minutes remaining a lucky rebound saw the ball finish up in the back of the their net to give Stockwood a two goal lead against the run of play. United continued to press forward with Alex Goodwin firing at goal only to see the home keeper beat the ball way. Finally in the last attack of the match Ryan King was bundled over in the box for a penalty. Captain Jin Lee took responsibility but his shot was saved by the Stockwood keeper.

Final Score.    Stockwood Green 3 Nailsea United 1

This was not the start that Nailsea wanted in 2013, Stockwood are fast becoming a bogey side having beaten Nailsea twice in the last two games.

Next week Saturday January 12th United have a chance to get back within touching distance of the league leaders when they entertain second placed Cutters Friday. Kick Off 2.00pm at The Grove.



max 4000 characters

Latest Stories in Nailsea


Local Vouchers

  • Vintage wedding?

    Beez Neez Cotton Bunting Hire

    This autumn we are pleased to offer complimentary delivery and collection from our Hire bunting range.
    Within a 10 mile radius of BS1.

    Terms: See the website for more information and the pricing structure. All bunting must be pre ordered. Minimum order is 30 meters.

    Contact: 01172449926

    Valid until: Friday, October 31 2014

  • Book Now. X-Mas Party.

    The Queen Adelaide

    Our X-Mas menu is now available, Please contact us for a copy, available dates etc. We are a small country pub who are willing to discuss your specific needs and help make it memorable.

    Terms: Please phone to arrange information exchange and confirm dates. A Deposit will be required when booking.

    Contact: 01761 250366

    Valid until: Saturday, November 15 2014


Local Jobs


Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price
Min price is bigger than Max price
Min rent is bigger than Max rent