Nailsea United drop points at Bridgwater

Profile image for elpresident

By elpresident | Saturday, October 27, 2012, 18:57


Bridgwater Town Reserves 1  Nailsea United 1

Second placed Nailsea travelled down the M5 to play Bridgwater Town Reserves looking for three points to keep the pressure on top club Berrow on the first cold Saturday of the season.

The first 15 minutes belonged to Bridgwater who had a succession of corners but were unable to capitalise on the early pressure. On 17 minutes  Nailsea could have taken the lead following a Sam Long pass to Rob Brown on the right whose pin point cross was headed over the bar by Jim Lee. Minutes later James Springett released Sam Long for a run on goal but his shot was beaten away by the home keeper.

Nailsea went behind on 34 minutes when Rob Brown was adjudged to have fouled a Bridgwater player. Although the penalty had to be taken twice the result was the same with the ball going high to the left of Scott Kendall. No further clear cut chances emerged for either side although right on half time Jim Lee chased down a long ball but although his lob beat the keeper it went over the bar.

Bridgwater were just about the better team in the first half which was reflected in the score line of Bridgwater 1 Nailsea 0.

At the start of the second half Nailsea immediately took the game to the home side to be rewarded with just two minutes played. Ellis Wilmot took a corner from the left which was headed goalwards by Mike Rowcliife to rebound from the keeper for Matt long to prod over the line for the equaliser.

There was now a sustained period of pressure by the visitors during which a superb cross field ball by Ellis Wilmot found Jim Lee whose shot was deflected although the referee decided to give a goal kick. On 65 minutes, against the run of play Bridgwater should have regained the lead when they headed over from a corner with the goal gaping. With 20 minutes to go Nailsea manager Mark Savage made two changes. Josh Benjamin replacing Harry Hope and Stuart Lee replacing Matt Long. United now totally dominated the game but could not find that elusive goal. James Taylor met another Wilmot free kick only to see his effort bounce on top of the bar and away to safety.

 With full time approaching wave upon wave of Nailsea attacks brought no reward. Stuart Lee could not control a cross from Ellis Wilmot and Josh Benjamin shot wide when the ball found its way to him on the right hand side of the goal. The final chance fell to Sam Long who could not find the net with his header from a Wilmot cross.

Final score. Bridgwater Town Reserves 1 Nailsea United 1


This was definitely two points dropped, we will not know until the end of the season how important this will be. I cannot remember a half of football so dominated by one team without scoring more than one goal.

Next Saturday November 3rd, United travel to the south of Bristol to play Stockwood Green in the next round of the Somerset Senior Cup. Kick off 13:45pm. The same day the Reserves play at The Grove when they entertain Burnham United Reserves. Kick off 14:30pm.



max 4000 characters

Latest Stories in Nailsea


Local Vouchers


Local Jobs


Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price
Min price is bigger than Max price
Min rent is bigger than Max rent